Sunday, November 27, 2011

Alphabet Delights

The Alphabet installation is up on the wall in my studio now, with a profusion of letterforms. It's very colorful, and would be great for libraries (public, private, or institutional); workplaces that deal with the printed word (publications such as newspapers and magazines); printers; and colleges, universities, and other schools. When I had Music of the Spheres up on this same wall a few years ago (before it went off to NRG Systems in Hinesburg), Georgia Landau used to come to the studio and sit and look at it because she said it made her relaxed and happy. This one, I think, does the same thing!


It bipps joyfully across the wall, singing about the amazingness of the written word. It was a busy day at the studio on Saturday when I finished the piece and put it up on the wall. Among those who stopped by was Janet Nielsen, formerly the head librarian at the Kellogg-Hubbard Library in Montpelier. She said what a miracle reading is, how amazing that our species does this complex, beautiful thing.


Another visitor was Gabrielle Dietzel, who told me about two neat places that focus on type and letterforms, the Alphabet Museum (Buchstaben Museum) in Berlin, Germany and Letterpress Things in Chicopee, MA. Both are worth checking out.

1 comment:

Nan said...

You never cease to amaze me! I want to encourage you to maybe think about making an itty-bitty one so I can afford to buy one! :)