Friday, October 4, 2013

Boxes


Probably everybody who has been making art for awhile begins to see certain themes, materials, or forms coming around again. Recently, as several times over the years, I've been making things in boxes. There's something wonderful about the world one can create inside a box. In that enclosed space -- a little theatrical stage -- characters enact their narratives with a kind of intimacy or privacy created by the walls of the box.


I've been re-purposing some of the Disarmed pieces, like the one above, now called Disarmed in a Box. It can swing back and forth inside the box. 
 
 Another Disarmed piece sits in the piece below, now called Connections.



And finally, Stepping Out, whose box is an old beat-up 78 rpm record box.



Pria Cambio just gave me more boxes, so when I come back from Australia I might make some more!


No comments: