Friday, August 19, 2016

Cuties


Studio Place Arts has a public installation project called Soft Bomb Barre in downtown Barre, through August 27, and I am participating with  Find the Cutie.


I hid twelve soft dolls (see below; each about 18" high) in the the windows of 12 different businesses on Main Street in Barre. It was really hot on the day I put them out, but I think it's been fun for folks to search for them! Here they are in a group in my studio:


These little figures are built of red fleece and red yarn over a wire armature, so they are flexible and can be configured in different ways. I made them about 20 years ago, and installed them several times in hanging groups I called Falling People (seen below in an exhibit at the Lazy Pear Gallery in Montpelier).



When re-purposing them for this project, I wrapped them in yellow and orange yarns, and made clothing out of fabric and donated sock waste. I guess anything can be a "found object," even my own old work...


No comments: